Saturday, December 30, 2017

My parents did it, and I turned out fine...

Can we all just agree that that is the worst line ever?

I mean really...my grandparents rode in the front seat of the car with no seatbelts or carseats...And they turned out fine. So why can't I do it?

I mean, really, that's what it sounds like to me when people use that line!

And it is used often! For anything from spankings and fast food to unrestricted screen time and starting solid foods.

It. Drives. Me. Nuts.

If you truly did turn out "fine" then you are lucky because the rest of us are getting worse.



Overall mental wellbeing has been steadily declining in America's youth for over 80 years.

Yes. Since the 1930s, our teens and young adults have been growing more depressed and more anxious.

In fact, from 2005 to 2014, the percentage of teens who claimed to have suffered major depression rose from 8.7% to 11.3% according to a study.
One in ELEVEN teens has a depressive episode each year.

Mentally ill teens become mentally ill adults and I am sitting here wondering what part of this is "fine."

Someone once told me they were spa ked as a child and they, and their siblings, all turned out fine. All of the children in this family grew into very anxious and/or depressed adults, to the point of needing medication and one wound up in jail.

That is NOT "fine."

We are not fine. Society as a whole is sick. Very sick. And we are getting sicker.

Between 2001 and 2009, instances of Type 1 diabetes increased by 23%. Celiac disease is on the rise and is now affe ting 1 in 133 people in the good ol' USA. Autoimmune disease are taking us over and the CDC has said they have no idea why!


So please, stop saying you are fine. Chances are, you are not "fine."


Heart disease, mental illness, autoimmune disorders, obesity, etc. It's everywhere and It's getting worse.

I'm not content to sit back and watch my kids suffer the same challenges I have. What we are doing, as a society, is not working.

So, I'm trying something different.

I buy my dirty dozen organic. I get my meat without hormones. I drink my milk raw and I avoid sugar like the plague.

I explain my reasons to my children. I try my damnedest to use a gentle voice and listen to their side of things. I struggle, but I wake up every morning with a plan to not spank them.

I limit their screen time to a max of 30 minutes a day and I preview every single thing they see.

I once handmade all of our soaps and cleaners...I still do some, but I must admit, I've gotten lazy.

I baby wear, cosleep, and breastfeed.




I don't care how many people turned out "fine."
More and more of us aren't. And that's reason enough for me to do something different.

Misfit mommies, unite! 👊


No comments:

Post a Comment